- Vegan Beer: anything by the Cerveceria Modelo brewery (written on the side of the label) is vegan, for example: Indio, Corona, Pacifico, and Modelo.
- Nopales are a popular topping or filling, it’s a kind of catcus.
- Tortilla’s themselves are always vegan.
- Superama sell a margarine which is vegan, the one in Santa Fe also had Tahini!
- Tofu and Tofu Burgers are also available in Superama.
- Soya milk is easy to get in supermarkets, I preferred the Silk one (despite the irony) and found the Ades one too sweet.
Nearly Vegan Things:
- Escites: Without the Mayonaise or Cheese
- Quescocalades: With a Mushroom, Nopal or Bean filling
- Cinema Popcorn is often made with butter
- Some Bread is made with milk or eggs
- Beans (even tinned beans) may be cooked in animal fat
- Anything may be cooked in animal fat
- Non Vegan Items:
- Huevos: Eggs
- Leche: Milk
- Vegan Items:
- Vegan: vegano or vegana
- Beans: Friholis
- Mushrooms: Champions
- Nopales (Catcus)
- Vegan Tuesdays is a vegan group who meet regularly in Mexico City.
Notes which are not specifically vegan but are probably of interest to vegans:
- Walmart have a large presence in Mexico, including Superama, Sam’s club, Suburbia and VIPs.
- There’s a decent organic selection in supermarkets.
- There are tonnes of local stores everywhere (helping your money end up with the people who need it, rather than in the rich few who have).
If you’ve got any updates or additional information, feel free to leave it in the comments!