Last Updated: January 2016
People get viruses all the time, I’ve no idea how but they seem to manage it. I spent lots of my time cleaning people’s computers, if you don’t wish to pay someone else to do it you can usually do it yourself using these directions (or get in touch if you’d like me to do it for you). You may get some hard to clean viruses which need research and persistence to remove – in this blog post I can’t help you with those.
- You might need to do them one at a time if you find they’re going very slow.
- Don’t forget to back up your files. Always: virus or no virus. Don’t forget to scan your backup for viruses too (or delete and rebuild it if it’s a read-only one).
- Each scan here could take between 1 and 8 hours to finish, depending on how much stuff you have on your computer.
- They are all free, don’t pay for anything! Look for the “Free Version” or “Free Edition”. If you find the programs useful, however, most of them have the option to buy or donate to support them.
- Where you get the option, ask for a Full Scan. You may need to click an “Advanced” button first.
- Some will not clean “low-threat” items such as Cookies. Don’t worry about them, but clean anything else they let you.
- You will need to have a working Java installed, go to http://www.java.com to check or download.
- No Anti-Virus picks up everything, that’s why you need to run several to have a really good scrub.
- If you have an anti virus installed, run a full scan with that first. Then disable it so it doesn’t scan files every time one of the other scans does.
Run these from your browser (or a download file which doesn’t install):
You need to download and install these ones. Remember to uninstall them after to free up your disk space:
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html. This direct download might be easier: http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3001-8022_4-10122137.html?hlndr=1
Also make sure your current anti virus is up to date and not complaining about anything. If you don’t have one then install:
- Immunise in Spybot (You installed it for a scan earlier) – to block bad sites
- Run CCleaner – to clean up your caches, registry, broken links and suchlike
- Defrag with MyDefrag – to tidy up your files so they load faster. Skip this is you have a Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Use GlaryUtilities to clean up and seed up
If you know any other free online anti viruses, which actually clean up for you at the end, post them in the comments!